Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Project Management Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekniks

Technical User
Jun 27, 2003
US
I'm looking for some Project Management Tools that can handle back-scheduling (like if the product has to be delivered by 15 Dec. 2005, then set up scheduled tasks from April to Dec. based on the time taken by each task)and roll-up capability (like if one of the tasks is held up and can't be met as per schedule, then roll-up the schedule and crunch up the time-lines for each task say from 20 days to 15 days in order to meet the deadline).

I hope I'm clear, if not, let me know...

Thanks for your assistance in advance...

TEK

tekniks said:
I'm looking for some Project Management Tools that can handle back-scheduling (like if the product has to be delivered by 15 Dec. 2005, then set up scheduled tasks from April to Dec. based on the time taken by each task)...

Most any PDM scheduling tool lets you do this with SF relationships. However, I would not recommend it (SF links) as a tool for driving project execution.

It is preferable to schedule the work FS and set a finish milestone (with a EF/LF constraint) to reflect the deliverable date.

tekniks said:
and roll-up capability (like if one of the tasks is held up and can't be met as per schedule, then roll-up the schedule and crunch up the time-lines for each task say from 20 days to 15 days in order to meet the deadline).

IMO, it would be dangerous and poor practice to let a computer algorithm make adjustments to a project schedule. Critical path analysis should be done manually.

Bernard Ertl
eTaskMaker project planning software

it would be dangerous and poor practice to let a computer algorithm make adjustments to a project schedule.
I endorse Bernard's point, especially if you are using MS Project. Most likely Project will not handle it the way you expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back