Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Project 2013 Reporting: charts can show more than tables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

piedpiper11

Technical User
Apr 16, 2013
US
I'm using Project 2013 Professional and the new & improved Reporting module. How come I can produce a nice chart of a particular resource's total hours to be Worked by Month, but I can't output the same data as a table to show exact monthly tallies?

In other words, when I create a chart, and designate the Field List as "resources", I'm given the option to "Select Category", and I do, using "Time" (editing it to select "months"). Then in the chart itself, the Chart Filters icon is available to allow me to make the chart only show the particular resource(s) I'm interested in.

But no such options are available when, in the same file, and within the same report, I add a Table element, and try to set it up to show the same numbers in a table, not in a chart. I am not given the filtering options described above, which seems very short-sighted. Or am I missing something?

BTW: I know I can take the extra steps to run Visual Reports Export and create a pivot table to accomplish the table I'm looking for in Excel. But is there not a way to just create this table from the Reports tab in Project?

Scott

Hi Scott,
Sorry - I pasted the link above on the wrong thread. So, in between flights I can now answer your question.

Table reports, as you have found, are not timescaled. However, the Visual Reports should get you what you need. And you can also print the Resource Usage view for a more "tablular" look.

You should, however, have the ability to filter - just use the Field List area on the right at the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back