Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prohibiting Users from Using a Browser (IE and Firefox) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteadySystems

IS-IT--Management
Feb 14, 2003
US

What is a simple and fast way to prohibit users from browsing the internet? However, they need to check pop3 email.

all windows xp and windows 2k machines

If I block port 80 on the router then no one will be able to. Admins and Executives still need to use internet.

Only users need to be blocked.

Any suggestions?

Depending how many users you have you can rename or delete the executable for IE and Firefox. Kind of cheesy but I guess it would work.

Im sure there is some registry edit or software out there that will do what you need.

MCSE NT 4.0, MCP (2003, A+ & Network +

Free Computer Help and Tips:

1. Uninstall all browsers

2. Remove all browsers from the firewall exceptions list

3. Gpedit.msc > User Config > Admin Templates > System > Internet Communication Management > Enable 'Restrict Internet Communication'. (local)

BLOCK PORT 8O FROM THE TCPIP CONFIG...

GOTO LOCAL AREA CONNECTION.

properties-----TCP/IP----properties-------advanced---options

-----properties---this allow port 25,110 and what ever port your anti-virus or spyware use....it work fine for me..shut it down ..

or use GPO

I would recommend using Group Policy to point your browsers at a non-existent proxy, then use Group Policy to prevent changes to the config.

For Firefox, use Group Policy to dissallow the users ability to run Firefox.

Or, use Group Policy to enfore a Windows Firewall policy blocking ports 80(http) and 443(https). Dissallow changes.

- stephan

excellent response guys, I like B0AZ1's reply. Do you have a list of ports that I should "PERMIT ONLY"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back