Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Progression 7.7 Reset Allocations (running 4+ days)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vachaun22

Programmer
Oct 7, 2003
US
I am new to the Macola ERP software, and have had no training whatsoever.

I am the administrator of the server and working on an issue that has been here since I started with the company, and our support doesn't really support us...

I am having an issue with the reset allocations process.

I can only seem to get it to run relatively stable on the server itself, as clients tend to error out. When running the software, it is showing as not responding. My guess is that it is just poorly coded and has no progress monitoring in the process itself.

When I look in the Activity Monitor in SQL Server, I can watch the particular session IDs associated with the process and see that every about 15-30 seconds an insert is issued. When I trace the session, it seems to be select after select after select. The week before this, I traced the entire process and ended up with ~120 GB of trace information. At only a few bytes per trace line, that seems to be a HUGELY inefficient process. Our company isn't that big to have that much information to cause a trace of that size...

This weekend, I started the process on Friday evening. As of this morning (Wednesday), the process is *still* running.

I can't get any answers as to what the purpose of this process is, or what could possibly be taking it so long to complete. Our support simply tells us that they think it is something in our environment, perhaps networking issues. Which obviously is a cheap way to blame us for an issue they don't know how to fix since we ruled out networking issues by running the process directly on the server itself.

I'm getting very frustrated. I was hoping someone here may be able to shed some light on me. This forum seems to be my last hope of getting anything accomplished...

Thanks in advance.

I might start looking for a data problem in one of the associated tables involved in the process. Your support provider should be able to advise you of which tables to look at. Perhaps run the File Validation utility on those.

John

I am quite ignorant with this software. I've never worked with it, and have received no training on the software at all. We also have no documentation on site that I am aware of.

Could you tell me, what does the file validation process do and is it data safe? I'm concerned that I may do something that would have a negative effect on the data in the database.

And I would like to think our support provider could help us, but when I asked them about the process, their response began with "As far as I know..."

Unfortunately, when I say those words it usually means that I have no clue what I am talking about and simply pulling stuff from the air, so I expect nothing different when someone else says those words to me...

Run a file validation on the IMITMIDX and IMINVLOC tables. The file validation will go through and tell you everything that is wrong with a database record (in this parts). For example "Field value not set for field _______" or "Buyer planner record not on file". Fix every single error no matter how innocent may seem.

Also allocation come from open sales orders and open manufacturing orders (POP or Shop Floor Orders). I would look at the raw data to make sure there are no "junk records" at the beginning or the ending of these tables.

Reset allocation essentially sets the allocation to zero, then recalculates it based on the open sales and manufacturing orders as mentioned above.

Post back if you have any questions.

Software Training, Implementation, Programming and Support for Macola Progression, Macola ES, Synergy, and Crystal Reports. Check out our Macola tools:

I encountered this same problem - Don is absolutely correct - fix as many of those errors on the file validation report as possible - in particular - any errors that would relate to the relationship/link between the two tables - I.e. missing location records for an item. I fixed numerous errors like these and then tried the reset allocation and on order functions from within IM and it worked very nicely.

Because of the size of our IMINVTRX file, it initially took some time to start going - it looked as though it had hung for about 10-15 minutes, then it began processing IMINVTRX records and reset the Lot master table where needed etc.

This went a long way towards cleaning things up as we had inexplicable items on order and allocated with no real evidence of them actually being so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back