Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

programs to detect bad fonts

Status
Not open for further replies.

njxbean

IS-IT--Management
Jan 14, 2003
US
Question. Are there any free programs that detect bad or damaged fonts? Also, what are the good reliable programs that do this?

While I can't think of any free apps that will automatically check for bad fonts, there are some freeware apps that will print font samples. You could print to a virtual PS printer from these programs and watch for which fonts cause errors.

See versiontracker.com for the goods.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

I don't know about free... but a good reliable program is Suitcase. if you deal with a lot of fonts, this program is worth every penny. It will keep your computer running smoothly and keep the launching time of programs that use fonts (illustrator) short.

What do you consider a lot of fonts? Because some users have 300+ fonts in their system folder. Which i have heard is bad. We currently do use ATM. Is there a certian number of fonts that should be active at a time? Is it better for a program to manage the fonts instead of the system folder?

the only fonts that i recommend allowing in your systems folder is those that came with it. while adding a few might not hurt you, excess fonts will slow down your computer. they can also cause major errors with your computer and certain programs. personally i only have the fonts that are in current use active on my computer. with Suitcase all of that is taken care of. when you open up a project, all the necessary fonts for that project will be activated. i have a G4 with approximatly 800 fonts, maybe 60 of which are activated at a time.

WOW. Maybe i will try suitcase. So could having like 300 fonts in the system folder cause os crashes on a regular basis?

Crash? yes.

What OS version are we dealing with? ATM Lite or Deluxe? I don't think OS9 and below should not have that many fonts active at once.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

I am using Suitcase 10. It comes with FontDoctor which can diagnose all the font problems & rebuild all your existing fonts into one nice package. I now have a clean font folder with over 16,000 fonts in it (not counting the truetype fonts). I try to keep my open fonts to a minimum (easy to do with Suitcase), but even with magazine work, I have had no problems crashing or bogging down with a lot of fonts open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back