Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Programs not running unless you have Admin privileges

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBarnes

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2001
US
I am tring to work out a problem I am having with some programs that will only run if I give users Admin privilegesin windows 2000 professional and of course this defeats the purpose of Security. Can anyone help me with this. I know there has to be a way around it. I would appreciate your help.

Change the program's security properties to give permission to desired users. Nate Gagne
ngagne@numa-inc.com

These are in house programs and I have did give permission to the users. I gave them full permission to the folder that the program resides. If there something else that you think I would have to do. I know it must be a security issue I just do not know where it lies. Will I have to set permissions on individual files? Or is there a way to set it to give "all users" access to run these programs?

Thanks

Also use regedit32. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and select the folder of the problem software. From the main menu select Security, then Permissions. Select the accounts or groups that will run the software. Make sure the Allow checkbox for Full Control is checked. Also check the inheritance checkbox if needed. If so, then select the Advanced button and check "Reset permissions ...and enable inheritable..."

Rf

This should work. Win 2000 security is tighter out of the box, compared to NT.

Run the mmc
Add the security configuration and analysis snap in
right click the configuration tool and select open database
type in any name for the database like apps
then select the compatws.inf template
then right click the security configuration and select analyze computer now
you can look at the differences between your setup and the templates
to apply the template select configure computer now

Hope this helps........

Thanks for all your help. It works now. It was a a couple of things combined. We has to get the programer to repackage it the right way that was the 1st part. Then permissons.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back