Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

programs installed with rpm

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceimon

Programmer
Sep 25, 2002
US
When rpm installs a program, like MySQL, where are they located?

Your sentence structure is ambiguous. Does the "they" in "where are they located" refer to RPMs or programs?

If "they" refers to RPMs, they don't have to reside anywhere. The application files are placed where they need to be and entries are made in the RPM database. But the RPMs themselves could very well be on a CDROM disk that isn't even mounted on the system.

If "they" referes to programs, then they are where they need to be, according to the installation conventions of that program.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!!

After rpm installs a program, like MySQL, where does the program reside.

Depends on where the creator of the rpm decided it needed to go.

I'd start by looking in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin. If it's a daemon, I might also look in /etc/rc.d/init.d/ to see if there is a startup/shutdown script for the daemon.

After that, I might try running find.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!!

To see all of the files inside an RPM package, use...

rpm -qpl package.rpm

To see where all of the files are located from an already installed RPM package, use...

rpm -ql packagename

ChrisP

If you know the application/program name.
You can use :
# whereis mysql (from (/) main directory)
That will show the application/program name location.
Good luck....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back