Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Programs help files freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoGz

Technical User
Apr 5, 2005
HR
Hi everyone!

After a lot of search at microsoft.com and googling everything I'm starting to think there is no solution to my problem. Well, please help if you can...
For the last couple of months (I'm not sure when it started) help files in all of my programs are not working. Microsoft WinXP Help and Support is working OK, but when I try to open help file in any program (like CorelDraw, Word...) the window opens and stays blank... and freezes...
My WinXP is regularly updated, I have NOD32 antivirus and Windows Defender is doing great job - so, I'm presuming it's not virus/spyware/adware problem. I tried to search microsoft.com for an installation file for .chm files... I really don't know what else to do...

Thank you in advance!

Hi

Look in control panel add remove programs and see if you have Microsoft Security update, KB896358, this update blocks opening of .chm files

Trevor

MS05-026: A vulnerability in HTML Help could allow remote code execution

HTML Help - Diagnostics

Restrict HTML Help from Running Executables

See if these articles give you any ideas. Removing the HH.dat file has worked for this problem in the past.

You might have might have a problem with the exe that runs the various Help programs.

For third party programs it might be HH.exe in the Windows Folder.

And possibly Winhelp.exe and Winhelp32.exe.

Other exe that are involved with the inbuilt Windows Help and Support programs are -

Helpctr.exe
Helphost.exe
Helpsvc.exe

Help.exe (for MS-DOS command line help)

There is also the Help And Support Service to check out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back