Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Programs Disappear through Terminal Services 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2004
US
I'm going out of my mind trying to find someone who can help me with this issue we're having.

We use W2k3 Dell servers, all of which are physically located at a remote co-location provider that neither myself (the sole IT/Systems Guru for the company) nor anyone else has physical access to. I can drive to go visit my servers but why would I do that when I have TS, right?

We make custom applications that reside on these servers. The applications which call out via modem to our client's sites must be running 24/7 if we are to remain in business.

The problem is that myself, my boss (the VP), and the lead programmer all have to get into these servers, at different times throughout the day, and monitor our software due to bugs which were programmed by someone who was recently let go. Sometimes, when we're in the servers, all using the same Administrator account, the applications will just disappear off the screen. There is no error associated with this behavior nor is there a notation in any Event Log.

I've watched this happen on numerous occassions and it's frustrating me because I have other work to do, as do my colleagues, and we can't be babysitting this thing all day long. The bugs in the program are in the process of being fixed, but the apps disappearing alltogether are a different story.

I've done some research and M$ has some KB articles on this behavior happening in Windows 2000 (See KB 294816 & KB 818528) but NOT Windows 2003.

So my question to you other Tek-Tippers is:

Has anyone else seen this/experienced this on their W2k3 servers?

If so, what did you do to fix it?

I tried M$ online support but because we have an OEM (Dell) server they won't support it.

I put a trouble ticket in with Dell support and they wrote me (I swear this is true) a Good News/Bad News scenario response stating they couldn't help me either.

Called M$ an hour ago and they stated it would be $245 to open a support incident. I'm not going to pay for something I'm not entirely sure they can fix.

One of the KB articles I mentioned has no hotfix and that's for 2000. Since they've made no mention of this behavior in their KB regarding Windows 2003, I can only assume that they aren't going to fix this in the near future either.

But I'm hoping someone with a brain out there that also visits this site can shed some light on the situation for me.

I had something similar happen where this one application would dissapear out of the start menu.

The application directory and executable file was still in the prgoram files directory so I had to keep re-adding the shortcut to start menu.

I am not sure why this happens but my solution was making the application icon read-only. It has not been removed since.

Marino,

Thanks for the suggestion. I put the apps as read-only and thus far they have not disappeared. Therefore, I'm giving you a star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back