Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Programming ring tones by line

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShowmenHeather

Technical User
Apr 2, 2021
US
We fried our system and had to do a hard reboot. The system reverted to original settings from 20+ years ago. Tech came out (the only Nortel tech in a 15 hour radius) and spent hours reprogramming everything just the way we wanted it. Unfortunately, even he couldn't figure out how to program distinctive ring tones by line (not by set). We have 3 companies ring through, and we used to have the two companies with less volume and picked up by an AA (3 lines) as a different ring tone. We scoured the system admin guide I have to no avail; the programming map doesn't show anything useful. I reached out to the retired boss who used to handle this, and his quick overview was that I would find it in the line programming in the same section as supervision settings. I can't find that either (unless he means auto privacy; found that but nothing about ring tones) and I've used the admin password and the sys admin plus password and can't find what I'm looking for. This is my last resource. Tech has reached his knowledge limit, retired boss wasn't much help, and I keep diving for the phone only to discover it's for one of the companies the AA will get. Can anyone help?

You will find the setting under lines/trunk/line data.
Distinctive ring
You can program one of four levels of distinctive ring patterns (DRP) to
lines (None, 2, 3, 4). The higher the DRP, the higher the priority calls have
when they come in on that line. This feature works in conjunction with ring
patterns set on individual telephones and for Hunt groups.
I'm pretty sure you need to get in with the config password to access this, I don't think sys coordinator plus will get you there if I remember correctly

"I don't think sys coordinator plus will get you there if I remember correctly"

True

Config is technician programming
Admin is administration programming

The tech would have had to go into Config to program some of yours items such as line appearance so he knows the password.

And the guide you would want is the "Norstar CICS/MICS Installer Guide"

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

We still use default passwords, so config password should still be 266***, right? (are we allowed to type of passwords here? don't want to break rules I neglected to read)
Or at least it works and gets me into trunk/line data. However, DRP does not seem to be an option in the trunk/line data. I get:

Trunk Type: Loop
Line type: Pool B
Dial Mode: Tone
Prime Set: 231
CLID: none
Auto Privacy: Y
Trunk Mode: Super
Ans Mode: Manual
Link at CO: N
Aux. Ringer: N
Full Auto Hold: N
Loss Pkg: MediumCO

That's it. I think this is just too convoluted for me as everything I know is from reading the manuals, and I don't want to start changing things without knowing how it affects the system. I guess I'll just learn to deal with this annoyance. Thank you for the advice and attempting to help, and thank you for the new Installer Guide. It was very informative.

Glad I blocked out half that password so I didn't get in trouble. Thanks. The SP: 30NdG00 NAT

In future you can mention you have a MICS 4.1
If you have a Norstar voice mail , when you log in press 9 to see it's version.

Distinctive Ring (and T series phones full compatibility) came out with 6.1.

Did somebody swap the software card when troubleshooting?
Is there overhead paging? that would generate a different ring.
or one group of phones had their ring tone the same but different from the other group?

It's a good time to upgrade to 7.1 but it depends on your voicemail version.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back