Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

programming ls2208 scanner 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCCnewit

IS-IT--Management
May 28, 2016
US
I'm am trying to figure out how to make the ls2208 scanner perform three functions. I need the scanner to scan and tab. I need the scanner to scan and enter. And last, i need the scanner to disable the check digit. Now i can get it to do any two of those functions, but not all 3 at the same time. I've printed the programming guide and have scanned the programming bar codes, but for some reason, i can't get all 3 functions to work together. We use these scanners in our dispatch office to scan bar codes on pallet tags. When we scan multiple tags (bar codes) into our computer. For example,we need to scan over 24 bar codes in our warehouse from one location to a different location. This is were we need the scan and tab, and also the disable check digit. This is pretty much our default programming for our scanners. We have no issue with this, it works fine for us.
Now we need it to scan and enter when we scan bar codes into our shipping module. Right now it will scan the tag (bar code) and then tab to the windows address bar. We need it to scan and enter.
Like is said above, i can get to do any 2 of 3 functions, but not all 3. Is there a way!?!? HELP!!

First off you have the functionality that you need confused with the functionality that the barcode scanner performs.

A Scanner cannot disable a check digit.
The Check Digit is printed by the printer and/or the printing software.
Some of the barcode symbologies REQUIRE a check digit - example: UPC-A and others

and then tab to the windows address bar
Again No - the Scanner itself cannot TAB your software to do anything.
The Scanner is merely and alternative input device to the keyboard.
IF there is anything that the Scanner, itself, can do to affect the software it is due to the information in the barcodes that it reads.
Example: If the barcode symbology supported it (Code 128, for example) keyboard 'commands' such as Function Keys, etc. can be utilized.
But it is not the Scanner that is doing it, but instead it is the barcode itself.
(see: )

And last, i need the scanner to disable the check digit.
I guess that I never heard you say in your post, WHY you think that you need to 'disable' the check digit.
You say that you want to do it, but you don't say what you are trying to achieve by doing so.

I'd suggest that if you feel that you REALLY need to do this, you contact Zebra and ask them.

Otherwise perhaps if you better told us WHY you need this, we might be able to make a more helpful alternative suggestion.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

i included some screen shots below to give you a better idea of what i'm talking about and using the barcodes for. the first screen shot is when we scan barcodes in one box, it tabs to the next box to scan and so on. That is fine.

Now the second screen shot is when we scan a barcode into the box, the cursor tabs up to the address bar. If i disable the scan and tab, then we are able to scan the barcode and it enters to the next box and so on allowing us to scan barcodes to an order.

as far as the check digit, all of our barcodes on our pallet tags are numbers. The scanners straight out of the box will scan with a letter at the end of it that we don't need, and the program we scan into doesn't like them. I am able to disable that with some programming barcodes. But again, i am able to program the scanners to do two of the three functions that we need. I've already talked to the software people who created our program that we use and they say it's got to be a scanner issue.

i can program the scanners to work one way for a certain group of employees and then give scanners programmed another way to another set of employees, but that's counter productive.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=a3ee501c-a713-4d7b-9775-b965bd24028f&file=scan_&_tab.docx
OK, I am not that familiar with the LS2208, but after some web searching I find the following:

In this manual you will find a section that says "ADD AN ENTER KEY (CARRIAGE RETURN/LINE FEED)"
After you have scanned all three barcodes your Enter Key/Carriage Return will be added after your scanned data

Whether it is a TAB or a Carriage Return/Line Feed doesn't really matter.
But I do see now where getting the 'extra' piece of data can be configured.

However on another page I see where the programming (via a read of special barcodes) to get that set up may vary depending on the interface type.
Are all of your scanners interfaced to the workstations using the same hardware and port type?

I can't say what barcode symbology your pallet labels are using, but quite often they are UPC-A (one of the many all-number barcode symbologies).
In order for the reader to successfully READ a UPC-A barcode, the printed barcode label HAS to have the Check Digit.
Now maybe the same 'intelligence' that is available to put the extra CrLF after the scan has the capability of stripping off the check digit before it sends to the recipient workstation and its application. I don't know.

Again while scanning the web I came across an alternative interface box that sounds interesting.

There is a Contact Support link for the scanner at:

It might be worth your while to see if they can shed some light on your issue.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Does anyone know how to program LS2208 scanner to send both Enter and Tab after every scan?
I know how to configure it to send either Enter or Tab but I can not find the commands to send Enter and Tab after every scan. Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back