Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Programming function keys with tput

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2000
US
Hi there,<br><br>I'm trying to use tput to program a function key.&nbsp;&nbsp;I've read through the man pages on tput and terminfo, but I'm confused as to what the syntax should look like.<br><br>Example:<br>$tput pfkey f11=$(date)<br><br>or<br><br>$tput pfloc f11 &lt;ENTER&gt;<br>&gt;date<br><br>I'd like to put this in my .profile with a different executable, but can't seem to figure it out.<br><br>Any help is appreciated.<br><br>Thanks much!

I think tput will let you get the value of the F-key, but not reprogram it.&nbsp;&nbsp;ie, you can read the contents of the terminfo entry, and use those entries, but you can't update the actual terminfo entry.<br><br>From a <FONT FACE=monospace>tput</font> man page on a SCO box here:<br><FONT FACE=monospace><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;tput uses the terminfo database to make the values of<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;terminal-dependent capabilities and information available to the shell<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;(see sh(1)), to initialize or reset the terminal, or return the long<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;name of the requested terminal type. tput outputs a string if the<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;attribute (capability name) is of type string, or an integer if the<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;attribute is of type integer.<br></font><br>and so on... In other words, it's read only.<br><br>So, what you probably need is a new terminfo entry containing your amendments.&nbsp;&nbsp;This is easier to do than it sounds.<br><br>1) Think of a <b>new</b> name for your terminal type.&nbsp;&nbsp;Do not overwrite an existing terminfo entry, in case you have problems.<br><br>2) Use the <FONT FACE=monospace>infocmp</font> command to get the terminfo entry for the terminal type you want to amend.&nbsp;&nbsp;For example:<br><FONT FACE=monospace><br>$ <b>infocmp xterm</b><br>#&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Reconstructed via infocmp from file: /usr/share/lib/terminfo/x/xterm<br><b>xterm</b>¦<b>xterm terminal emulator (monochrome)</b>,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;am, km, mir, msgr, xenl, xon,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;cols#80, lines#24,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;acsc=aakkllmmjjnnwwvvuuttqqxx, bel=^G, bold=\E[1m,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;clear=\E[H\E[2J, cr=\r, csr=\E[%i%p1%d;%p2%dr,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;cub=\E[%p1%dD, cud=\E[%p1%dB, cud1=\n, cuf=\E[%p1%dC,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;cuf1=\E[C, cup=\E[%i%p1%d;%p2%dH, cuu=\E[%p1%dA,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;cuu1=\E[A, dch=\E[%p1%dP, dch1=\E[P, dl=\E[%p1%dM,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;dl1=\E[M, ed=\E[J, el=\E[K, home=\E[H, ht=\t, hts=\EH,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;ich=\E[%p1%d@, ich1=\E[@, il=\E[%p1%dL, il1=\E[L,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;ind=\n, is2=\E7\E[r\E[m\E[?7h\E[?1;3;4;6l\E[4l\E8\E&gt;,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;kLFT=\E[d, kRIT=\E[c, kbs=\b, kcbt=\E[Z, kcub1=\E[D,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;kcud1=\E[B, kcuf1=\E[C, kcuu1=\E[A, kend=\E[8~,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;kf1=\E[11~, kf10=\E[21~, <b>kf11=\E[23~</b>, kf12=\E[24~,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;kf2=\E[12~, kf3=\E[13~, kf4=\E[14~, kf5=\E[15~,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;kf6=\E[17~, kf7=\E[18~, kf8=\E[19~, kf9=\E[20~,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;khome=\E[7~, knp=\E[6~, kpp=\E[5~, rc=\E8, ri=\EM,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;rmacs=\E(B, rmcup=\E[2J\E[?47l\E8, rmso=\E[m,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;rmul=\E[m,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;rs1=\E&gt;\E[1;3;4;5;6l\E[?7h\E[m\E[r\E[2J\E[H,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;rs2=\E&gt;\E[?3l\E[?4l\E[?5l\E[?7h\E[?8h, sc=\E7,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;sgr0=\E[m\E[m, smacs=\E(0, smcup=\E7\E[?47h,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;smso=\E[7m, smul=\E[4m, tbc=\E[3g,<br></font><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;In the example above, I've highlighted the items that will need changing.<br><br>3) If the terminfo entry is the one you want, re-run the <FONT FACE=monospace>infocmp</font> command again, this time redirecting the output to a new file.&nbsp;&nbsp;For example:<br><FONT FACE=monospace><br>infocmp xterm &gt;myxterm.txt<br></font><br><br>4) Edit the file you just created.&nbsp;&nbsp;Change the &quot;short name&quot; of the terminal (<i>xterm</i> highlighted in the example above), and the description of the terminal (highlighted above immediately following xterm).&nbsp;&nbsp;This will ensure that you create a <i>new</i> terminfo entry.&nbsp;&nbsp;To see what termingo entries already exist, list the contents of <FONT FACE=monospace>/usr/lib/terminfo/<i>x</i></font>, where <i>x</i> is the initial letter of the name you want to use.<br><br>5) Edit the <FONT FACE=monospace>kf11</font> entry to set the value for F11 that you want to use.&nbsp;&nbsp;Then save your changes and exit.<br><br>6) Recompile your new terminfo entry.&nbsp;&nbsp;You need to be root to do this:<br><FONT FACE=monospace><br>tic myxterm.txt<br></font><br>7) Finally, set TERM to be your new terminal name.&nbsp;&nbsp;eg,<br><FONT FACE=monospace><br>export TERM=xterm-new<br></font><br><br>So, if you want to set your F11 key to send the string &quot;date&quot; followed by &quot;&lt;Return&gt;&quot;, change kf11 to be:<br><FONT FACE=monospace><br>kf11=date\r<br></font><br><br>Hope this helps. <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>--<br>
0 1 - Just my two bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back