Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

programming a door closure key

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbish

Vendor
Dec 12, 2003
US
How do I program a line out of the Avaya Partner ACS ver 5 to send a loop to open a remote door? The door is in place and when I touch the two leads coming out of the door it unlocks. I want to be able to do this from the receptionists desk.

Hi jbish,
See "what size ac transformer needed". You need to use a contact closure adjunct and suitable power supply. This is for an ACS. There are other ways to do this but why fight it.
#612 would be the contact closure group (who can access the feature), you can modify the contact activation time (#613) or wheather it toggles or not. (on/off)
-Chris

You can use a Viking Loop Detect Board at ~$30 or use an ACS Contact Closure Adjunct at ~$135, your choice. Either way, you need to have a device that will do the detection and switching; the ACS on't do it alone.

However..........
There is a contact closure built into the ACS already. The center two conductors in the page port are audio, the two outside those are a pair of contacts that close during a loudspeaker page. If you're handy, you can rig it up and do an intercom 70 and the door will open.

Standard disclaimer: will void your warranty, etc....

Hi 392,
I just gotta say, current - arcing! I have seen the lower voltage door releases burn out a contact closure in less than a year (1A rating, 3A contacts). I really didn't want to mention that contact in view of this application.
The Viking loop current sensing closure will work fine, but I like to keep things simple and straight forward.
-Chris

you might also consider a momentary on switch (doorbell type switch) wired to the recprion area independent of the partner system

if you had spare pairs in the cable you could use them or pull a new cable

So, why not make your own contact closure relay? All you would need is a relay with a low voltage coil (say, 12VDC), and contact ratings that will handle the door closure. Add a 12VDC power supply, and spend a few minutes figuring out contact closure pinout and you should be set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back