Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Programmers: Building a new site - your advice 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

llamaman

Programmer
Jan 9, 2002
US
Hi,
I'm about to embark on building a new web site and rebuilding an old one. I'm used to building with ASP. I am moving to a Linux platform and want to get away from ASP. What are the options that are out there for developing interactive pages, and what are your opinions on advantages/disadvantages?

I need to be able to add things like forums, forms, calendars, database access, catalog references, etc.

Your input is appreciated!

Thanks,
Llamaman

For Linux platforms I recommend PHP. It is fairly similar to ASP so it probably won't take you very long to pick up. PHP, being open source, gives you more flexability over probably any other language.
Here is a link that shows some PHP biased comparisons between ASP and PHP.

Another option you may want to look into is ColdFusion. CFM is probably the easiest to learn and has a quite a bit of power these days. The only problem ASP programers usually report about CFM is that it isn't the same format as ASP, or PHP. Not a bad format, just different.

Here is a link that compares several languages pretty fairly:

Have fun...

Travis Hawkins
BeachBum Software
travis@cfm2asp.com

I'd also recommend PHP if you're moving to unix/linux. Most ISPs who offer unix hosting accounts have great deals on PHP and MySQL hosting - they're certainly far cheaper than most ASP/MS SQL hosting packages, anyhow.

Dan

Perl is another option and seems to be a very powerful language, but probably has a much bigger learning curve. You could also use JSP's/servlets but I hear those tend to be slow compared to PHP or Perl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back