Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Programmatically populating a table with detail

Status
Not open for further replies.

annethorne

Programmer
Apr 13, 2005
US
Hi,

We are creating an ASP Database Application that connects to Sql Server 2000.

The application is for associating a zip code with a warehouse. For instance a zip code for the los angeles area would go to the los angeles warehouse and a zip code for the new york area would go to the new

york warehouse. We would like to enter zip code ranges into the following Wzip_Log table. Then we would like to programmatically populate the Wzip_Detail table and the Wzip table.

The Wzip_Log table holds zip code ranges, where as the Wzip_Detail and the Wzip table hold individual zip codes.

For instance, the Wzip_Log table might have the following record (completely fictitious)
Wzip_Log_ID: 1
PostalCode_Start: 11111
PostalCode_End: 11113
CountryCode: USA
WarehouseNum: 1
Operator: jdoe
Time_Stamp: 00:00:00 6/1/2006

Then we would want the Wzip_Detail table to be populated as follows:
Wzip_Detail_ID: 1
PostalCode: 11111

Wzip_Detail_ID: 2
PostalCode: 11112

Wzip_Detail_ID: 3
PostalCode: 11113

The Wzip table would be populated exactly the same as the Wzip_Detail table at this point.

However, say a user later updated the Wzip_Log table as follows:
Wzip_Log_ID: 2
PostalCode_Start: 11111
PostalCode_End: 11113
WarehouseNum: 2
Operator: jdoe
Time_Stamp: 01:10:00 6/4/2006

The Wzip_Detail table would contain an INSERT of this data (giving it a total of 6 records)
whereas the Wzip table would contain an UPDATE of this data (giving it a total of 3 records)

For your reference, here are the table layouts:

Table Name: Wzip_Log

Wzip_Log_ID int 4 (primary key, Identity)
PostalCode_Start varchar 10
PostalCard_End varchar 10
CountryCode varchar 3
WarehouseNum int 4
Operator varchar 50
Time_Stamp datetime 8

Table Name: Wzip_Detail

Wzip_Detail_ID int 4 (primary key, Identity)
Wzip_Log_ID int 4 (foreign key)
PostalCode varchar 10
CountryCode varchar 3
WarehouseNum int 4

Table Name: Wzip

Wzip_ID int 4 (primary key, Identity)
Wzip_Log_ID int 4 (foreign key)
Wzip_Detail_ID int 4 (foreign key)
PostalCode varchar 10
CountryCode varchar 3
WarehouseNum int 4

I think there is probably some way to do this programmatically in Sql Query Analyzer, but are not sure how, so I thought I would ask you here who have helped me tremendously in the past.

I am eager to learn more about writing such functions and am enjoying this project.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give,
Anne

I'm confused, so please permit me to ask a follow up question:

What's the point? It sounds like you want to find a 'close' warehouse for a given zip code. If that's the case, storing a range of zip codes for a warehouse is not a good idea. The problem is that zipcodes are not linear. You cannot draw a straight line between all the cities in the US. Furthermore, 2 adjacent zipcodes may not have contiguous numbers either.

My suggestion would be to obtain a ZipCode table that also has latitude/longitude values associated with them. Then, make sure you have the zipcode for each warehouse. You'll then be able to perform distance calculations based on latitude/longitude to determine the nearest warehouse.

I once found a database that has zipcode, latitude, * longitude on the internet using a google search. There have also been threads in this forum that will show you how to use SQL Server to perform distance calculations on latitude/longitude to find the closest warehouse.

If you'd like to pursue this, let me know and I will be able to help further.

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back