Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

programmatically disable F11 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwrocko

Programmer
Nov 29, 2007
US
Is there a quick way to disable F11 in a report (or any keystroke)? I don't want a user to be able to hit F11 and then do whatever they want.

In the database STARTUP properties you can uncheck USE ACCESS SPECIAL KEYS

Tool+Startup

it will apply to the whole db.

You can also uncheck SHOW DATABASE WINDOW, etc, I uncheck them all in my front-ends.

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244. Basics at

I have used the following in the past:

Create a Macro called AutoKeys (spelling and capitalization are important)
Make sure you are showing Macro Names (Menu -> View -> Show Macro Names)
Put {F11} for the Macro Name
Select MsgBox for the Action
Fill the Arguments at the bottom to display some message (mine reads:
Beep: Yes
Type: None
Title: Disabled)

Your all set.
Of course, this can be bypassed if the user know about the Shift+Open (which you can also disable if you need to [smile])

Hope it helps.

=======================================
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world. (Calvin from Calvin And Hobbs)

Robert L. Johnson III
CCNA, CCDA, MCSA, CNA, Net+, A+, CHDP
VB/Access Programmer

Cool - thanks GingerR. Is there a way to override this if ever need be? I am thinking of a worst case scenario in which I have only allowed administrators access to the design view of forms and queries - I don't want to lock myself out of my own house. Is there any way I can leave a key under the mat?

Hold down the shift key before/while opening. This disables all start-up settings.

That being said, you should have it set up like this:

Development Front End (reports, forms, etc): for developers
Production Front End: for users (keys disabled)

Back End (tables): both front ends linked to this.

You do development in the DevFE, when done with changes you release it into production (Prod FE).

This is a typical set-up.

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244. Basics at

thanks Gingerr - its working like I want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back