Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

programmatic retrieval of authenticated VPN user

Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingGeek

Programmer
Aug 21, 2003
US
Greetings,

Is it possible to get back from a VPN connection the status of a user, i.e. the user has been verified? Not the password, but that a particular user has already been authenticated via the VPN connection, in order to prevent the user from dealing with another logon? If I am posting in the wrong area, please let me know - I'm not sure where to ask this question, but I'm thinking there might be some sort of standard interface.

Cheers!
Sheri

Well, I was hoping for a somewhat generic solution so that it could be used with multiple types of vpns. Am I crazy?

thanks!
s.

Yep. Pretty much. Different types of VPN servers use different forms of authentication. Also, availability of the user status would depend upon what point in the network the connection is made and the type of server.

Should work with radius, either MS native or FreeRadius on linux. Other than that, can't really think of an environment where this would be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back