Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Program Usage Statistics from MIMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

CindyMCC

MIS
Apr 19, 1999
US
Does anyone have a system setup for recording cumulative program usage statistics from MIMS? We have a simple TP line query command to save results to a text file appending the days together. While rudimentary, this at least gives us a file of what is being run and is useful if we want to know if reports (especially custom ones) are being used at all. <br><br>Just wondering if somehow has set up something more sophisticated to monitor who is running what in MIMS?<br><br>We are running 4.1.1 under AIX/Oracle

Cindy, Cyprus has done this by updating a user defined ORACLE table. I believe they has set this up with a trigger on the database for MSF080. This new table not only holds programs that have run, by who, etc but also the request parameters. Maybe you could contact someone at Cyprus. You can then report off this new table.

We probably have what you are after. It uses an Oracle trigger on the MSF080. We did publish the apporach at the 1998 User Conference, and the triggers, programs, and scripts used should be in the conference notes. If not, give me a call<br>
<br>

TP_DAT will give provide a detail usage statistics. However, it doesn't tell you about who runs which program. It deos give you very useful usage stats.<br><br>Let me know if you don't know how to setup tp_dat.<br><br>Mike<br>

I would like some info about what Mike was talking about. (I dont know how to set up TP_DAT and could not find Mikes's e-mail) We are using an Infomix DB. We need to get an idea of which Users are using the system, what they are doing, how offer etc.

Can anyone help?[sig][/sig]

TP_DAT will only provide you with information on how often a program was run, cpu and i/o usage. It isn't very usable in determining who is running what, what is happening with the output, or what the request parameters were.

Another disadvantage is that the information disappears if the TP is shutdown for any unexpected reason. You may want to consider using the batch history approach that we have been using in Oracle.

This approach involves setting a trigger on the MSF080 table to copy to a history table when an insert occurs, update the history with a start time when the process_status changes to an 'E', and update the history record with an end time when the msf080 is deleted.

This only applies to batch programs. For on-lines you will need to either customize the TP or rely on the undependable tp_dat. See the Unix Environment TP manual for syntax and usage. You can also get information using tp_stat. [sig]<p> Glen Colbert<br><a href=mailto: gcolbert@RAG_American.com> gcolbert@RAG_American.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Cindy,

You can obtain program stats two ways from Mincom TP.
The easy way is through tp_stat from the command line. Following command will output the program stats.

$ echo e | tp_stat -zl -w,3

If you change -w,3 to -w,2 it will produce the option 2 of the tp_stat which contains user info but need to loop quite frequently.

The other method is to start a tp_dat server and process the stat collection files after the tp shutdown or tp_dat serevr is stoped. This process is documented in the Mincom TP configuration manual but if you need info on how to setup
please send me an email to dhammika@mincom.com

[sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back