Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Program hangs in Mac version of Netscape

Status
Not open for further replies.

viajero

Programmer
Jun 20, 2000
US
Hi,
I've written a java application using JDK 1.1. It works properly in Windows version of both IE and Netscape. It also works properly in Mac version of IE. But when i try
loading this application using Netscape 4.5 in Mac, I have a security exception. And this is what i could see in the Java console of Netscape:
<Strong>
Netscape Communications Corporation -- Java 1.1.5
Symantec Java! ByteCode Compiler Copyright(C) 1996-97
Symantec Corporation
# Verifier error MyApplet.<init>()V: Cannot find class MyCanvas
</Strong>
Here MyApplet and MyCanvas are my own classes of my java application.

Thanks [sig][/sig]

I am guessing in the html file you are using the applet tags????? There is a program that Sun puts out for java called the html converter. Bascially it modifies your html file to work directely with the sun java plug in. You can set which system you want it to work on etc..... If your program works normally with the appletviewer with jdk1.1, then using this html file will force the browser to use the java plug-in that is directely from sun... If you can't find this on Sun's site at java.sun.com, just email me and i can send it to you B-)

later [sig]<p>ackka<br><a href=mailto:tmoses@iname.com>tmoses@iname.com</a><br><a href= my site</a><br>"Do No Harm, Leave No Tracks"<br>
ICMP Summer 2000, 2600 Article<br>
<br>
[/sig]

Thanks Ackka, but I already developed a swing version but I don't want to use the plugin, so, I made a new version using AWT.
Now, Netscape 4.5 for Mac has a JVM 1.1.5, the rare thing is my code works properly in the Netscape for Windows (JVM1.1.5) and in IE (JVM1.1.4) without plugin.
I don't know if the problem is around the Netscape browser, when it's trying to load the classes.
If you have any idea please help me,
thanks.

[sig][/sig]

See that's the thing with applets that i am not sure about, i really don't know if the virtualy machine used directely with ie is from Microsoft, or from java, i think forcing the user to use the java plug-in is best option. There is another one though......

Have you used jar files that much, what you could try to do, would be to write the larger section of your code, stuff like graphics etc.. Stuff that you may consider to be somewhat OS and browser dependent, put that into a jar file, then use as little code as possible to interface with the native java runtime environment. I have only tried this a little bit so i am not positive.

I thought java was supposed to be cross OS :) [sig]<p>ackka<br><a href=mailto:tmoses@iname.com>tmoses@iname.com</a><br><a href= my site</a><br>"Do No Harm, Leave No Tracks"<br>
ICMP Summer 2000, 2600 Article<br>
<br>
[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back