Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Program for advertisement failed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nastri83

IS-IT--Management
Jun 13, 2006
US
Hello all,

When I sent out my first advertised package, everything went well, however it seems as though 3 of the 40 computers I sent out the advertisements to didn't succeed. I'm getting this as a message in the status viewer

The program for advertisement "USA20006" failed ("USA00004" - "June 2006"). A failure exit code of 2 was returned.
User context: USA\epetrovits

Possible cause: Systems Management Server (SMS) determines status for each program it executes. If SMS cannot find or correlate any installation status Management Information Format (MIF) files for the program, it uses the program's exit code to determine status. An exit code of 2 is considered a failure.
Solution: For more information on the exit code, refer to the documentation for the program you are distributing.

What's an exit code 2? And how do I fix it?

what program is it that you are trying to distribute? Error codes with single digits normal mean that SMS has found an error, but cant report it, i.e doesn't really know what happened. It could be anything from the program you are distributing needs a certain hardware/software requirement but has been programmed to catch the exception that has occured, could be network access, local admin rights...anything....

when you have a problem like this, where you have a mass sucess and some random failures, it can't really be a problem with the configuration/advertisement, as much as it can be an annomyly in the clients that have had the problem. First thing to check when things fail on a number of clients.

1) Find common differences.... Is there any thing that links all the failure ones together, that is different from the sucessful ones, such as, all in the same physical area (connected to the same network hardware), you may have router\filtering problems. OSs, did all the failed ones, have XP SP1, not SP2, and all the sucessful ones have SP2. Are all the failed ones ADM processors, all have <256Mb RAM...you get the picture.
2) Manually create a new collection of the (some of the) machines that didn't get the advert....create a new advertisement for this collection, see if they all fail, if so then you have a problem with the clients and can then look into it. Check the guide/spec for the software you are installing, see if it has any requirements.
3) Check the Resource Explorer for these clients, check when the last hardware scan was, and check the system status, see what versions of the SMS Client is installed on problem machines, and compare it to the sucessful clients.

It will most likely be software requirements

check the mentioned above, and get back with your findings.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Hi,

use net helpmsg 2 to look for the description of the error.

In this case, it indicates that the system cannot find the desired file

Check the logs on the clients that failed, could give you some insight on whats happening.

The package is the ms malicious software removal tool. I'm just doing it as a test. Anyone know how to check if it's installed in Win 2000? Sorry for the semi-unrelated question, but I need to be sure that these updates are going through.. The advertisement status says that they are, but it would be nice to see it there.

I'm going to try the manual collection of failed clients sometime today and I'll let you know how it works out

Nevermind, I just found out that the malicious software removal tool doesn't install. On to my next question.. is there a way to make the "Assigned Program About to Run" message not appear? Is that a service I have to disable on each individual system? I'd rather this be as invisible as possible on the network.

Nastri, it is in the program settings..

Site Database > Packages > %Package% > Programs > %Program% > right click > Properties > Advanced > Supress Program Notifications.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

thanks neil, always on top of things!

I try to be :)

Did you ever get that guide?

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

yeah I did, thanks again. I am also trying to learn the inner workings of the SQL statements, since I'm relatively new to it. I've been using the dropdown menus but I feel like to really gain experience with the language (to possibly persue jobs that require SQL experience) I should be able to write these things from scratch. Is there a site (preferably free) that I could learn why SQL Statements are the way they are in SMS?

The SQL statements are standard sql statements, unrelated to the fact that they are linked to SMS. You are just specifying resources to look for in the views. There are thousands of websites on SQL programming.

I got a book that was great for learning SQL, many years ago, forgotten all of it now, only used it to figure what I needed out for a PHP project.

Title : SAMS = Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes
Edition : 3rd Edition
Publisher : SAMS
Author : Forta, B
ISBN : 0 67232 5675

Normally costs <£10 / $15US

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.