Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

program doesn't work on another computer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

blablabla2

Programmer
Sep 27, 2004
BE
hello,

I've created a small database. It works perfect on my computer, and now I want to move it to another computer (which hasn't have delphi installed).
It wont work correctly on the other computer: My formcreate stops the first time it has to acces the tables (so the program runs, but everything that had to happen in my formcreate after I called "if table.exists" simply hasn't been done)

Quit anoying as you can guess, cause a database without a database isn't worth much:)

Hope you guys can help me out, cause I cant find it.

tnx in advance

(ps I am using delphi 5, if that is of any importance)

are you using the BDE? Did you install the BDE on the "new" computer?

Leslie

I dont think I use the BDE. Not sure:s How can I check that?

maybe this is of any help:
I have the professional edition, I use TTable, TDatasource, DBGrid. My databases itself are created at runtime, with TableType = ttParadox.

Further, I didnt install the BDE on the "new" computer, cause I dont really know how. do you mean installing "database desktop"?

Jeroen

Ok, if you are using those components with Paradox tables, you are using the BDE. No it's not the database desktop, it is the Borland Database Engine, here's the help info:
For standard Delphi data components to have database access, the Borland Database Engine (BDE) must be present and accessible. See the BDEDEPLOY document for specific rights and limitations on redistributing the BDE.
Borland recommends use of InstallShield Express (or other certified installation program) for installing the BDE. InstallShield Express will create the necessary registry entries and define any aliases the application may require. Using a certified installation program to deploy the BDE files and subsets is important because:

Improper installation of the BDE or BDE subsets can cause other applications using the BDE to fail. Such applications include not only Borland products, but many third-party programs that use the BDE.
Under Windows 9x and Windows NT, BDE configuration information is stored in the Windows registry instead of .INI files, as was the case under 16-bit Windows. Making the correct entries and deletions for install and uninstall is a complex task.

It is possible to install only as much of the BDE as an application actually needs. For instance, if an application only uses Paradox tables, it is only necessary to install that portion of the BDE required to access Paradox tables. This reduces the disk space needed for an application. Certified installation programs, like InstallShield Express, are capable of performing partial BDE installations. Be sure to leave BDE system files that are not used by the deployed application, but that are needed by other programs.

All the components: TTable, TQuery, TData are on the BDE tab (first clue that you are using the BDE) of the development area. If you check the help for any of them, it says right at the top, these components use the BDE, therefore ALL the computers that the program is intended to run on need the BDE installed.

HTH

Leslie

In re-reading my post today, I realized I sounded kind of snippy, wasn't really in a great mood yesterday and apologize if others found it snippy too.

We all have our days!

les

Leslie

dont think you were snippy, think you were helpfull, tnx a lot, you and gcaramia have solved my problem, it works!!!!

lot of thanks to you both

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back