Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Program Crashes after weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

teniosoft

Programmer
Apr 7, 2004
US
Hi I have a program that uses Outlook 2000 to send emails out based on incoming emails. The problem that I am running into is that after about 2 weeks the program crashes with an object not found error 90 message. So my question is what is the longest you have had a vb program running? Are there any tips you have for a long uptime for a program. Does anyone have any tips with regards to outlook and this problem. I am also interested in hearing the longest you have had a program running without crashing (years anyone?)

Let Your Information Flow

Years but not on VB, neither on Windows.

Thats a normal problem with Windows. Just get used to reboot the machine every week or so.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

I currently have dozens and dozens of machines running Windows that have been up for considerably longer than a week...

Lets not turn this into a (windows uptime) discussion. I have windows server 2003 running on one of my machines and it does just fine (much better then 9x). I am more concerned with visual basic applications crashing for no reason after running fine for 2 weeks. I am thinking maybe it is a memory leak but the code is really only about a page long. I found what could possibily be the bug but I wanted to know if you "could" have a vb6 app running for months assuming the code base in correct.

>I wanted to know if you "could" have a vb6 app running for months

Yes, you can.

I don't know why exactly, but it is probably connected with an internal list of loaded objects. This list may not be properly release after you reset the object.

In one of my customers we had two NT servers running two different applications, both written on VB.
One would create a lot of word documents, and would normally start to slow down after 2/3 weeks, and eventually we would need to reboot the machine.

The other only accessed a Oracle DB, and processed some data files.
This would run for weeks, and we would normally reboot it every 2 months.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

I know that a lot of people do it and I'm not trying to start a message war but ...

MS specifically advises *against* using any MS Office apps in an unattended environment. Check these knowledgebase articles for more info - Q257757 & Q259971.

It's kinda funny that they all but admit that the Office apps (objects) can't be trusted to run without messing up.

Just my .02.

Net_Giant

What fun is a technology if you can't crash the OS?

My experience has mirrored that of fredericofonseca.

If your app is relatively straightforward and doesn't do anything "unusual", it's not a problem for it to stay up for a month or more.

If you violate the KISS principle, then you'll be looking at reboots every few days.

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

unattended environment" is a very specific scenario. In particular it means that an application cannot interact with the desktop (i.e it can't use any visual component).

Given that the Office applications are all designed to interact wit the user, even when being accessed via automation (e.g error messages), then it comes as no surprise to find MS advising that you should not use them in an unattended environment, as they were not designed for it.

I received an interesting message today from my client. It turns out to be when a message is recalled the system crashes. It is reproducable but, I will update if after a period of time the application still crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back