Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Program a different Outgoing Caller ID 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmun

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2002
US
Hi Tek-Tip Gurus!

I'm trying to program my extension to broadcast my DID as its Outgoing CAller ID instead of the main line at our office.

I have limited knowledge of our phone system, but maybe the following descriptors will help you figure out how to help me!

I ask because our company won't justify calling in a technician just so I can customize my handset's outgoing Caller ID.

1. We have a Nortel System with a T1-PRI
2. I have basic understanding of system programming (using **CONFIG + the Admin Password)
3. I use a Nortel T7316, and even without the programming overlay, have figured out what are my show/back/forward buttons.
4. I'm willing to (carefully) do trial-and error and experiment with the different features of the admin menu. (I don't have a manual, and haven't been able to find one online)

I have hunted around the web and found tips that say to go to the "end of line access programming", but I haven't been able to figure out where that is.

I did manage to find a "lines" branch of the menu:
1. **CONFIG
2. (password)
3. Press the Next button to get to lines
4. Searched for my handset's line number
5. Changed it's "name" to my DID number

I didn't expect that to work... but tried it. There were no adverse effects, but no solution, either.

Any tips gladly welcomed!

Cheers.

Earnie Eng

You might find the Telco is where the main number is coming from, ask them how they are set up on this circuit. You should also be able to ask them what they are seeing from you on the circuit for caller ID at the C.O.

Most of our desk phones have the main line as the outgoing Caller ID.

I know for a fact that we have had our telco in here to to program a subset of our lines to broadcast a different caller ID when one section of our office became a different company.

I'm interested in finding out where in the system programming I can accomplish this on my own since the hourly rate for our telco to come in to perform custom programming is too much.

I'm simply wanting to change the outbound Caller ID on my phone since I've programmed my line to forward to my Google Voice number on Busy or No Answer.

I'd like to Google Voice to broadcast a custom voice mail greeting when people call my desk phone (I've completely bypassed our phone system's internal Voicemail system)

Earnie Eng

If you look under Terminals & Sets, Show your set. Under line access, press show, Line assignment, press next 5 times. That should bring you to OLI, press change and enter the number you want to display. That number should show up on your outbound ID.
Your provider will have to allow this, so you may have to contact them if it doesn't work.

Wayne T

Here's kinda a roadmap of what I see:

Terminals&Sets -> My set
- Capabilities
- Name
- User Preferences
- Restrictions
- Telco Features
--End of List--

I have tapped "next/show" under each of those options, but don't see a line access option.

I assume that this means I need to talk to telco?

Earnie Eng

This should get you there.

Enter programing
Terminals & Sets: Press Show
Show set:Enter set #(eg 221)
Press show
Press show
Press next 5 times.

Wayne T

Wayne T... That did the trick...

The key was to be in config mode. I had no idea that different passwords shown different menu items.

And the button-by-button sequence was incredibly helpful!

Earnie Eng

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back