Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Progammer question using LDAP in Microsoft Server versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
I wrote a ASP.NET 4.0 app for work (large world wide conglomerate) and was given code to integrate LDAP to find a user and allow them in to my program. My question is, is LDAP part of Microsoft Server by default or is it an add-on? Or
Which version of Serve is it in like 2003 2008 etc?

DougP

LDAP is available if you have Active Directory running. Given your employment by a "large worldwide conglomerate" I would be quite surprised if you weren't. You will find this in every version of Windows Server since 2000, and your method of binding to it should be the same across versions.

Sorry should have elaborated more. I know my work is using it since they "speced" me to use it.
I want to write sample/test/play with, apps at home on my own small 2003 server.

DougP

You'll need to stand up a domain on the win2k3 box. Read up on dcpromo and that should tell you everything you need to know.

HI I WILL GIVE U A BRIEF IDEA REGARDING UR MATTER, I THINK U ALREADY KNOW THE CONCEPT AND THE IDEA BEHIND THE LDAP, IF U WANT TO ACCESS THE USERS AND THE COMPUTERS DETAILS OF A SERVER WHICH RUNS ADDS, U CAN INSTALL ACTIVE DIRECTORY LIGHT WAIGHT DIRECTORY SERVICES (ADLDS) AND IMPORT OR SYNC THE DATA BETWEEN ADDS AND ADLDS USING ADSI EDIT (ACTIVE DIRECTORY SERIVICE INTERFRACE EDITOR).THIS PROCESS IS LITTLE BIT COMPLEX CZ U NEED TO USE NUMBER OF TOOLS TOO.

GOOD LUCK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back