Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Profile seems roaming and reset setttings every time! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptp491

IS-IT--Management
Dec 8, 2004
CA
Hi

I have a network with one domain, just joined my first Vista ultimate to the domain and everything went well. After first boot, now everytime I log back in with my username, Vista resets my profile settings.

When I log in with another username(local or domain), it works fine. Just my username, I have admin permission on both domain and local machine.

My username is also missing from the list of users when I log in with another account !

Any idea ??
Thanks

Have you tried removing all evidence of that username from the Server and the Client and seeing if that corrects the problem after you recreate your user?

Are there any clues in the Event Viewer, perhaps in the Security Log?

You might like to check out the Server Forums too?

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
We did try all those tricks and nothing worked.
No clues in neither server or the client event viewer ...

I had to call Microsoft to figure it out. It turns out, I was a member of Domain Guests and no matter how many other groups you are a member of(because I was a member of domain admin too), Vista applies the guest policy last so the profile was being lost as I was being threated as a guest.

It's never been an issue with any other OS, it's a new feature hidden in Vista.

It took Microsoft tech 3 hours to figure it out and it is not mentioned in any white papers or documents for Vista.

Hope this helps someone else with same issue.

Negar

Thank you for posting back your information, and I'm sure it will help others.

It sounds like a bit of a bug the way you explain it or are Microsoft saying it is by design? I assume you solved the problem by removing your account from the Guests Group?

Not sure if I can call it a bug, but certainly a feature that is different from previous versions and not documented anywhere.

Yes I did fix it by removing myself from Domain guests group.

Interesting issue though. Domain Administrator account was a member of the same group as well but didn't have the same issue on the local machine and I didn't have to remove it!

So Vista is not even consistent on applying the policy to users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back