Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Profile refuses to Upload

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaderDYB99

Technical User
Jun 17, 2002
GB
Hi,

I've got 1 NT workstation desktop, with a roaming profile stored on a NT 4 domain server. The user can logon and download the profile however it always says that the local profile is newer then the roaming profile, or something to that effect.

After a bit of trial and error I realised that the profile was not uploading when the PC logged off, I can manually copy the profile to the server, and I can see and interact with the network without a problem.

Any ideas where the upload could be failing, oh it's not permissions I've checked and even given Everyone full control.

Any ideas would be VERY useful...

Thanks in advance
Justin

A couple questions... What service pack are you running and are you running Rockwell's DeskSet and/or Norton AntiVirus?

SP 6a and no to Rockwells DeskSet and Norton, we're running McAfee though...

Hope this helps

[morning]

Is the download working fine or is it just erroring and using his cached profile? A good test would be to delete the local cached copy of his profile.

If the download is working fine then it's pretty odd (if you are certain permissions are OK). You haven't made the profile mandatory?

If the profile is failing to download also then I'd check the profile path on the user account.

I thought the same but still nothing I'll take you through...

1, Power on
2, gets to logon screen
3, log on - at this point the 'the local profile is newer then the roaming' do you want to use the local profile? click no (downloads profile from server)
4, make a change (usually just send the user an e-mail, since outlook is stored on the profile)
5, log off/ restart

if you log on and then off it doesn't upload but doesn't complain about being newer
do a restart and the local profile message comes up again.

I checked the last modified date on the server and it hasn't been uploaded! I'm at my wits end! HELP
[shadessad]

You're SURE about permissions (for all items in the profile)? What happens if this user logs on to another machine? Any policies in place? Have you tried removing profile from local machine & starting again?

If user permissions to the roaming profile are good and this roaming profile was working in the past, then you may have a corrupted profile.

Login as the administor and delete the profile on the workstation, including the profile directory, then get the user to log back in to download their roaming profile.

If this dosent work then you may have to create a new profile for the user.

Out of interest, what network client are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back