Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Profile problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaTSCaN

MIS
Nov 21, 2001
CA
I try loading a person's profile and instead of getting their desktop from their profile I get the desktop from c:\winnt\desktop. Our policy has custom folders blanked out so it should load theirs. Any help would be appreciated.

C:\winnt\desktop? What put that there? (its like win9x C:\windows\desktop). Has someone been tweaking registry settings? (Tweakui has feature where you can change location of various system folders, including desktop). I think NT should pick it up from C:\winnt\profiles\username\desktop and C:\winnt\profiles\All Users\desktop (combination of the 2).
You can install Tweakui to check (and change back to proper value if necessary) -

If that c:\winnt\desktop was a setting in you policies at one time it will remain in that users profile until you create them a new one even if you remove the setting from the policies.

You need to tell the policies what the "real" value should be, let that take affect and then tell the policy to ignore that key. this is the difference between a checked box, a white box and a grey box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back