Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Profile names when UserNames change

Status
Not open for further replies.

rooster246

Technical User
Jun 26, 2005
US
My PC is on a Domain and recently we have changed Domains and UserName format.
My old UserName was jedrocker and that profile is created under Doc&Settings. After changing Domains, my new UserName is rockerj. However, when I log in, my rockerj folder is not being created in Doc&Settings. Even though everything looks as though I'm using the rockerj Profile. And, my jedrocker profile modified date does not get updated either. Strange.

I know Windows does not store my User Profile as "jedrocker" nor "rockerj", it stores them as a SID.
My question is, when I logged in with my new rockerj UserName, what does Windows do to create the User Profile folder in Doc&Settings? Does it create a random SID and then look at the UserName I entered and create a new Profile folder from that User Friendly name? Also, does Windows store in the registry somewehre the connection between User Friendly "rockerj" and the SID?

Thanks,
Jed

Depending on how the Domain is set up, your new user profile could be on a server.

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back