Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Profile and Computer migration over VPN PPTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

pogi05

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2006
US
I am in the middle of a company interforest migration, from a Windows 2k3 environment to another Windows 2k3 forest.

We have 3-4 users who will be out-of-the-office due to work for 3 weeks, but these migrations must be done in 2. There is never a time when everyone who needs to be is in the office at once for computer and profile migration.

Can a computer or profile migration be done while a users is VPN'd in over the "Log-in using Dial up connection" option?

If anyone can help that would be great!! :)

Thanks,

Chris

So, you are concerned about migrating a user while they are dialed in, is that right?

Yes,

I am not sure whether their ADMT will migrate their computers while they are VPN'd in and not on the local network.

Thanks,

Chris

I believe ADMT will force the computer to reboot when it is finished. Sounds like a good candidate to be an after hours job.

I've tried connecting with over a VPN connection into the source domain, but into trouble trying to migrate local profiles using the security translation wizard. When the agent initializes, it fails to complete as it says RPC server unavailable (RPC server referring to the workstation that it is trying to migrate profiles on).

Any suggestion on how to get this to work over a VPN connection?

Thanks,

Chris

No good ones. Anyway you could space the project out and keep the trusts up between the domain until you have had time for all the laptops to trickle through the office?

OK! Got it to work. Thanks for all the replies Flo.

I originally couldn't ping the VPN client from the ADMT migration server in the target domain; got a TTL expired message.

I moved the VPN server from the Source domain to the ADMT migration server. SO now my server running ADMT also acted as RRAS for incoming VPN's.

Next, once the client VPN'd in, I quickly updated DNS in the source domain for his IP, then refreshed all secondary zones.

The Security translation worked after that. The only tricky part was getting the computer migration to work, because it kept giving me errors of "err2:7006 Access Denied" when a user was logged in while I performed the migration.

I had to create a VPN connection from the client workstation w/o actually logging into the computer, which ended up being pretty easy. I don't have time to post this last step, but I'll return and leave it for anyone with this future problem.

WOO HOO

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back