Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

professionally recorded mp3 or .wav onto answering machine issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

RupertA

Programmer
Jun 1, 2012
GB
Hi there,

I am a programmer and have started a home business. Don't know much about telephony, so please excuse my ignorance. I am in the UK.

I need to buy a telephone and answering machine kit. I want to get a professionally recorded answering machine message done. That is no problem, loads of websites and they email u your mp3. However, I have spent hours on the web trying to work out how u get that mp3 or .wav onto an answering machine??? What kit do I need? Any links would be VERY much appreciated. All I am seeing is telephones with answering machines, which come with a prerecorded message and u can record your own. I do not see any system where u can upload your already pre-recorded mp3 or wav.

The best solution I am finding at the moment is that I get a telephone/answering machine with remote access. Then in the studio, the voice over artist actually dials in and tries to record himself directly onto my answering machine.

I had kinda assumed in 2012 that u could be buy a telephone and answering system where u could upload an mp3 or wav and select that as your answering machine message. And more to the point, what do all the customers who receive their mp3 of their answering machine message do with it???

Mystified.

Thanks for any advice.

Consumer-based answering machines really aren't manufactured with the expectation that a professionally recorded greeting will be used. Thus your options include:

.Use the out of box generic message the machine is shipped with.
.Record your own greeting by speaking into the internal microphone.
.Record a greeting remotely by dialing into the machine.

Even if a professionally made greeting is used, with just about every answering machine on the market today, it won't sound all the good when played over the phone line.

With MOH devices, you can download professionally recorded messages via mp3, but MOH devices are not really answering machines.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

There are programs out there that will turn your PC - equipped with a modem - into an answering machine, in to which you could put the professional greeting. You can even set up some like an auto attendant, allowing options for different departments, even though they will all go to the same phone in the end, making your business seem bigger and more successful to the average caller.

Thank you guys sooooooo much for taking the time to give me that crucial explanation. I am a lot clearer now. I'll prob go with voice over artist down the phone as my voice doesn't sound too bad when I've done this.

Thanks again and have a great day.

Rupert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back