Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Product key

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushhour

Technical User
Jul 1, 2002
US
I work on graphic files all the time and several times a year I like to format and partition my hard drive and reinstall all of my software so I have a clean drive. After doing this several times Win Pro XP will not let me use the key number that came with the software when I purchased it. I have had to call Microsoft for a new key number the last 2 times I reinstalled Windows. Is there any way around this? I have also had to replace the hard drive and ran into the same problem when I installed the software. TIA Debbie

If you are reformatting and reinstalling and no hardware will be changed, this usually works:

Find "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" and save them on a floppy (or USB drive or whereever) before the re-install. After you re-install XP, ignore the activation required nag message. Rename "wpa.dbl" and "wpa/bak" on your hard drive to some other names, then copy the original two files to your hard drive. The next time you restart XP, it should already be activated.

This may not always work (but it usually does), and probably won't if any hardware is changed at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back