Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Product Catalog / Database Import

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallberg

Vendor
Dec 3, 2006
SE
Hello.

I am a young Swede at my first job, and I could use a hand.
I work at a advertising-agency, and they have asigned me a task of finding a way to produce product catalogs easier.
:
:
I am supposed to find a way to import a database into Indesign so that it positions itself the way they want it over all the pages; using XML, Script or some third-party program. Basicly they just want a way to pick their database and click 'import' and have it placing itself in Indesign - even though there's some things always needing to be done manually. Is there a way to get this process as automatic as possible?

I am not supposed to actually "do" the catalog, only to find out if there is a way to make it easier and more automatic. :]

I dont know much about Indesign, Databases or XML; But if I can find some way and show them how that would be oh so excellent. If there aint a way to make this thing work I will of course tell them i dont know how.

I'm not asking any of you to do this work for me, only tell me how/if it's possible or give me a link, please. :)

Thanks in advance.
Erik

Go to the Indesign Help menu and select Indesign help.

Then click on the Search and look for "data merge".

You can also start an INDD doc and go to Window menu/Data Merge to try things out.

It's too much to give a quick answer here.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back