Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ProCurve Switch reporting CRC Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmail2

Programmer
Jun 15, 2005
IE
We have a ProCurve 2650 switch at one of our remote sites which is reporting CRC/alignment errors on some ports (infact, most ports report it at some point). There are about 15 PC's on the network, as well as a few other devices (printers, routers, firewalls etc). The errors mainly seem to be reported on the ports that the PC's are connected to, although one of the ports with this problem has a printer on it.

From what I understand, this is caused by speed/duplex mismatch. I've checked one PC and it's set to auto (all the switch ports are on auto) so I can't see why this would be a problem. I've tried setting both the switch port and the PC to 10Mb Half Duplex (then disabled and re-enabled the port on the switch) but the switch says speed/duplex mismatch, changing back to auto, and then this will be followed by crc/alignment errors again. I've change it to 10 Half, 10 Full, 100 Half and 100 Full on both ends and always end up with the same result. I've also noticed, since today (before I started chaning the speed/duplex settings) that the port was only operating at 10 Mb Half Duplex - the logs say "Port 34 is in Half Duplex - set to individual" - not too sure what set to individual means though.

The NIC on the PC is a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit adapter and I've updated the driver to the most recent version - 9.52 from Feb '07 (then disabled and re-enabled the port) but the errors are still there and it's still only operating at 10Mb Half Duplex - despite the fact that they're both set to auto negotiate.

I'm at my wits end here, although the problem isn't a major one, it's still something we'd like to get fixed. Does anybody have any idea why the port is auto negotiating to 10Mb half and why these ports are reporting CRC/alignment errors. These are the details from show version on the swtich
Code:
Image stamp:    /sw/code/build/fish(f04)
                Nov 16 2004 12:05:10
                H.08.54
Boot Image:     Primary
Thanks in advance

Irish Poetry - Karen O'Connor
Get your Irish Poetry Published
Garten und Landschaftsbau

If the updated code doesn't help, I would also take a look at your cabling infrastructure. Was it ever working ok? Did a new piece of electrical equipment get purchased (maybe some EM interference)? Have you had someone come and run a scan with a level 4 scanner and give you a print out on your wiring?
Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back