Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Procurve Switch Activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickCorlett

Technical User
May 23, 2002
GB
I have a very simple network with one switch onto which a DC, 2 servers and 12 clients are installed, and I have no network connectivity problems. However all the connected ports flash at the same time, even when the client machines are not in use.

I understand that there will always be some level of network activity on each connected port, but was just wondering whether that it is normal for all the connected ports to flash at the same time?

It's common. What you're seeing are broadcasts, which go to every machine in your subnet. Microsoft's File and Printer Sharing makes extensive use of broadcasts (which I've heard refered to as the NETBIOS splatterfest).

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back