Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Procurve 5300xl with XRRP - management access

Status
Not open for further replies.

copacetic

Technical User
Feb 6, 2010
DE
Hi,

I have a question regarding XRRP on two Procurve 5300XL switches. I have managed to set up XRRP according to the Advanced Traffic Management guide from HP. Infinite fallback mode was not used. XRRP seems to be working well, as one switch manages to take over if the other switch is turned off. No dedicated management VLAN is used. There are 8 L3 VLANs in this scenario though.

Management is working on switch1 (telnet, http). However if I want to manage switch2, I get redirected to switch1 immediately. I can ping switch2 though without any problems. I can only manage switch2 if I turn off XRRP on switch1.

Is this normal behavior or not? I have not read about it in any guides. What could the problem be?

Regards,
copacetic

Hello,

I have found the problem: one XRRP VLAN was not tagged across the trunk between the two switches (resulting in loss of connectivity on that VLAN), so switch1 was master all the time for all the instances (thus switch 1 was actually replying to my ping to switch2).

copacetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back