Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Procurve 2626 & Mitel 3300 ICP Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaccyNet

Technical User
Jun 6, 2006
GB
Hello all!

I having a bit of trouble with this and cant seem to find the answer anywhere, hopefully someone here can help me out.

The company I work for has just rolled out HP Procurve 2626 & 2650 switches across it's network. These have all been configured exactly the same with two VLANS.
We also have a Mitel 3300 ICP that was installed and working before the switch changeover.

I have set on our Windows 2003 Server, DHCP options to allow the phones to boot, change VLAN and communicate with the ICP. This worked fine before the HP's and still works fine apart from one problem.
I use the web interface of the ICP to manage it and previously was able to access the ICP from any computer on the network. Now I am unable to even ping the ICP, yet the phones are working.

I have tried different VLAN changes but cant seem to crack it.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Many thanks
Steve
IT Engineer

I'm not but I have a Windows 2003 server setup to talk accross both VLAN's. Also each port on the HP's are set as tagged for VLAN2 and untagged for VLAN1.

Was this working with VLANs before you put in the HP switches?

Sounds to me like what you are seeing is exactly what should be happening. If you're not part of that VLAN, you can't talk to that VLAN. That's what VLANs do, separate traffic.

If you remote into that W2K3 server, it should be able to show you the other VLAN.

Are you using the W2K3 server as a router between VLANs or is it simply set up to "see" both VLANs?

I'm under the impression that the previous switches were incorrectly setup. I have tried connecting to the ICP through the server but it also fails to see it.

I have setup the 2k3 server as a DHCP relay. Unfortunatly due to the nature of our internet provider I dont have access to the Cisco router that is onsite.

I understand that a VLAN should seperate traffic but I'm after some way of 'forcing' a switch to allow a workstation attached to a set port to access both VLAN's.

Many thanks for your help
Steve

I have tried connecting to the ICP through the server but it also fails to see it.
When you're physically at the server console, can you connect to the ICP?
I dont have access to the Cisco router that is onsite.
If all this router is doing is providing internet service, it's not part of this equation. If this router sits between any of the kit you're trying to communicate between, it's a major player. What's this router doing?
some way of 'forcing' a switch to allow a workstation attached to a set port to access both VLAN's.
Like all the Procurve line, the 2626 is fully 802.1Q compliant. Which means you can be running mulitple VLANs through any port on the switch, using VLAN tags to keep track of them.

The problem is at the workstation. Since it is configured to listen to 1 (and only 1) subnet, it will only interact with the VLAN that is situated within it's subnet mask.

You will need to:
1. put 2 NICs in the workstation, each subnetted for the different VLANs
or
2. put a fully 802.1Q compliant NIC in the workstation and configure the appropriate VLAN tags on it.

Hope this helps, I'm not the best at explaining this stuff.

When physcially at the server, I'm not able to connect to the ICP. The router does only provide Internet access.

Can you recommend any 802.1Q network cards? I had a quick look for some but not many suppliers tell you what features are on the cards. I currently have an Intel Pro100 S adaptor in the workstation if that helps.

Many thanks!

As far as the server goes, I would suggest that it is not configured on both VLANs. The switch that server is hooked to has that server listed as an 'iphelper', which allows DHCP traffic to route over both VLANs.

Yes, use DHCP helper on the Switches and keep the server on 1 vlan.

What device is routing between vlans? If your switches are make sure you have...

"ip routing" command enabled

Post a mock network info. Make sure you have the correct routes in the switches if you are using them to route between vlans. Also the gateway for your Data network make sure you have a route to the voice vlan back to the device you are using to route between vlans.

Billy Bublitz
Integrity Windows and Doors

Really all you should have to do in order to get a PC working on the Mitel VLAN is make sure the switchport the PC is on has both VLANS enabled, then statically assign the PC with an IP from the Mitel's subnet. This should work.

Aside from that, there is the larger issue of no IP route between the VLAN's, which will have to be fixed in the router/Layer 3 switch that is handling your routing.

Thanks for all your help guys. Apologies for the late reply but things have been a little busy here!!

I noticed that Lundah mentioned that I should give the workstation an IP from the Mitel's subnet, this I have a problem with.
Because of the way that the network was setup (we are allocated our internal IP range with no room for negotiation) both the phone system and the data network share the same IP range (ie all network devices get an IP in the range 10.10.32.0 - 10.10.33.254)

Also as I dont have access to the router that is being used (and I've been quoted silly money to get any configuration changes made to it) I have sourced a Cisco 2650 router to use for VLAN communication. The router has only one ethernet interface though so I would need to work without any addon modules.

Can anyone help me out with the configuartion that I will need to make to the router? I have a basic knowledge of Cisco equipment but not enough to be able to set this thing up for VLAN's. Also is there anything special I would need to do to the Procurve that the router will connect to? (it will be a 2626 by the way)

Again many thanks for your help, I can usually pick things up pretty quickly and have the problem solved in no time but these VLAN's seem to have gotten the better of me!

Hello BaccyNet.

I have serveral site running whit multiply 3300 and HP 54xx switches whit more than 10 different vlans.
Just enable ip routing on the switch, or check Mitel Online for help, they have on edocs many info for your config.
Sorry but I have't any experience whit cisco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back