Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Procomm Scheduler & Scripts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithFrench

Programmer
Jul 20, 2001
GB
I am trying to get Procomm Plus V4.8's scheduler to run Procomm with a script. When I have set it up and do a test, it all runs perfectly. However, when the appointed time comes Procomm loads and seems to hang. I am running sheduler from a shortcut in the Windows startup folder. Has anyone got any tips with the scheduler?

Hello.

This is not an answer to your question but I've also experienced problems with the Procomm Scheduler.

I was able to create the jobs, test them, and a few of them were runned but then suddenly the Scheduler stopped executing jobs. After a restart of the Scheduler a few jobs were runned before the Scheduler stopped again.

I finally gave up and wrapped my Procomm-jobs in .cmd-files and had them sheduled by the Windows Task Scheduler. This worked fine.

Best regards

I've seen some messages on the Symantec support forum where they recommend people use the Windows Scheduler due to some "issues" in the Procomm cheduler. I've not used the Procomm Scheduler lately, so I unfortunately don't have anything to add.

I've had similar issues with Procomm Scheduler. The easiest solution I've found is also to use Windows Task Scheduler.

I've found this works better anyway as I have other processes that need to run AFTER procomm scripts have completed. So you can just create a .BAT that contains something like the following:

"c:\path\PW4.EXE script1.wax
<other processes>
c:\path\pw4.exe script2.wax
<more processes>&quot;

You get the idea. Have fun!

FastLearner has pointed out that using the windows scheduler would work to launch a batch file with the following contents:

c:\path\PW4.EXE script1.wax
<other processes>
c:\path\pw4.exe script2.wax
<more processes>

My question is that after Procomm has launched can the application be closed using the scheduler? I would like to launch ProComm, run the script (which generates a text file), and then close the application.

I tired using the Procomm Scheduler and it's flakey. I've read the posts here and people lean the way of the windows 2K scheduler which I would actually rather use.

I have created a batch file with the following contents

&quot;C:\Program Files\Symantec\Procomm Plus\PROGRAMS\PW5.EXE ndc01.wax&quot;

I then use the windows scheduler to call the batch. Is there something that I'm missing in my batch? I'm headed out now to search the Symantec site for usage and suggestions.

Any help would be great...
Thanks,
Matt

What happens when you try to launch that command line through the Windows Scheduler? You might want to try including the path to pw5.exe (and the app itself) in the double quotes and leave the script outside the double quotes, or use the 8.3 format (c:\progra~1\symant~1\procomm~1\programs\pw5.exe ndc01.wax) instead. I remember running into some problems like this on Win2K, but don't have a machine running Win2K at the moment.
aspect@aspectscripting.com

I use a third pary scheduler that I found for free at download.com and it fires off all my programs great.
Only got to remember not to execute pw5.exe only the script you want to run. I have about 10 automate dprogramms that I run from it and it seems rock steady.

I would like to run a Procomm script file called NDC01.WAX. If I double click on the .wax file when I'm browsing in windows, the OS knows to use pw5.exe to open it. Naturally I thought that if I use the windows 2K Scheduled Tasks this should work, it doesn't.

I would think that the following would work:
&quot;C:\Program Files\Symantec\Procomm Plus\PROGRAMS\PW5.EXE ndc01.wax&quot;
That doesn't work either.

Note that when I run: &quot;C:\Program Files\Symantec\Procomm Plus\PROGRAMS\PW5.EXE&quot; it works with no problems but doesn't run my script.

I'm leaning now toward a bat file. Could someone tell me how I can accomplish this task? Or if my former usage is incorrect.

Best,
Matt

I just finished installing Win2K, Procomm, etc. on my laptop and I was able to schedule a script (note that I didn't use a batch file) successfully. I open the Scheduled Task Wizard, selected the .wax file I was interested in from the list of applications, clicked Next, and I was good to go. Here are the values that the scheduler plugged in:

Run: C:\Progra~1\Symantec\PROCOM~1\PROGRAMS\PW5.EXE terminal hints.wax

Start in: C:\Progra~1\Symantec\PROCOM~1\PROGRAMS

If that doesn't work you, let me know and I'll take another look at it.
aspect@aspectscripting.com

Knob,
YOU ARE THE MAN!!! That worked and thank goodness. I'm sure the business area will be happy that they don't have to come in at 7:20am anymore hehe...

Best,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back