Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ProComm Printing error RE VXPRINT.DLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

WAHMom

Programmer
Dec 11, 2002
US
This is not a programming issue, but I am hoping that with all of you fellow ProComm users actively posting here, someone would have experienced the same issue and have a solution for it.

We use ProComm 3.0 on several pcs and each uses a Brother HL-1440 laser printer. On one pc, we can no longer print and we get a GPF referencing VXPRINT.DLL. I have tried reinstalling the printer driver, uninstalling and reinstalling the software, and deleting the VXPRINT.DLL file. None of those work. We keep getting the same error on that one pc. Each of the pcs are configured identically, but obviously there is some slight difference which is causing this error.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Here is the exact error:
"ProComm 3.0 caused a General Protection Fault in module VXPRINT.DLL at 0001:018C"

Your only option is "Close"

Then the next time I try to enter Procomm I get an error and I have to close it and reopen it to have it functional again.

As long as we don't try to print from this particular machine, the software runs fine. But as soon as we go into Print Setup or Print Capture, we get the error.

Thanks for looking into this for me.

Try uninstalling again, making sure to delete the directory you install Procomm to (C:\PROWIN3 by default I think), vxprint.dll from the Windows or System directory, and PW3.INI from the Windows directory after you do the uninstall. Install again and see if it works then.

aspect@aspectscripting.com

After struggling with this for more than a year as it would be corrected by a reinstall and then re-occur again later, I finally found a much easier solution.....I deleted the pw3.prm file and then opened ProComm again. It went through an initilization process to recreate the file, I set up the modem again, and opened our specific .dir file and it worked perfectly again.

Even though we have the older ProComm 3, I found this solution for eliminating another GPF problem in ProComm 4, so it may be useful for others encountering ProComm GPFs....just look for the pw#.prm file where # is the version number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back