Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

procomm plus qwestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbriggs

MIS
Mar 3, 2003
US
I just got a new laptop win xp. Installed Procomm 4.8. Not able to handshake with any of my usrobotics sportster modems. All far end PBX's are set up @ 19200 N81. My old laptop works fine (win xp, procomm 4.8. It must be a setting because it is every usrobotics. I am able to hit my ion modem on the 81 just fine.

Tryied that as well. Contacted Symantec, They advised that 4.8 will not work on xp. I works fine on my desk top and old lap top. Does any one know of a different software? Better yet a way to make this 4.8 work. I love my Procomm :)

Been running 4.8 on xp for over 2 years

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS

i'm also working on xp with 4.8 without a problem.. look at your modem init string.. that may be the only problem

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I do not think that I have an init string. How do I put one in?

Mine is set for VT220, Xmodem, 9600, N, 8, 1

Is the modem in the new Laptop a real modem or a Software Modem, I have found over the years (35+) Nortel doesn'y like software modem very well. I have had to connect an external or a card modem to connect to some sites if I was using a computer with a software modem in it.

Thanks Ace, the modem is soft, I have installed an external and can now connect "handshake". The only problem now is that when I hit enter I either get X's or tiny 0's. Any suggestions?

Check the settings on the modem match Procomm and the switch.

try switching from 8 none and one to 7 space and one after you connect and maybe emmulation to vt320.. it can also be the modem init string.. did you send an init string to the local modem?

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

In addition to changing to E 7 1 make sure the ProComm terminal is set to 9600. Its a easy click and point at the bottom of the screen.

Thanks all, Still trying all of your suggestions. Can somebody tell me how to send an init string?

just point your mouse at the bottom of the screen and when the hand appears press left mouse button and scroll up and down to required part

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back