Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Processor upgrade, performance increase not seen 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

khhoban

Technical User
Jan 4, 2002
US
We recently had IBM install a "2-way" processor in our H50 from a "1-way" processor and a memory upgrade from 1.2GB to 2GB. I anticipated that I would see some increase in performance, but the server seems to be running at the same cpu utilization. I haven't tinkered with anything since the hardware install. Is there anything I need to do inside the OS to increase my performance since this "2-way" processor is installed. Is there a command to show me the usage on each processor? Shouldn't I see some improvement??

Any helpful hints would be appreciated.

This depends on where the performance bottleneck was. If it is a disk I/O bottleneck, then nothing you just did will fix it. What was your criteria and analysis for justifying the upgrade ?

Thanks, Bill.

I concur with Bill. IBM should have verified the CPUs were all present and accounted for, anyway. The AIX Performance Guide is a nice little novel full of good info.

Hello khhoban,
Why the hardware upgrade was done in the first place.
If the system was cpu bound then processor upgrade helps. If the system is not a cpu bound then cpu upgrade does not help.
ARE you running ORACLE.
1) what application do you run on the machine.
2) sar -P ALL 1 5 will give you output on each processor.
3) Do you have bos.mp fileset installed.
do lslpp -l bos.mp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back