Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Processor upgrade on a KOB740CFDMx motherboard? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishdawg

Technical User
Jun 21, 2004
US
I have a KOB740CDFMx motherboard with an integrated AMD Duron 2200 Pro processor. It is 850 mhz with 266 bus speed.
Since it is a socket a processor, would it be possible for me to remove it, and replace it with an atholon xp 2400, since it also has a 266 bus speed. If so, is there any thing tricky I should know about, or any changes I need to make.

Yes it would be possible, but (aha, that word)

The XP+ IIRC may require a BIOS upgrade, something about microcode.

The mobo may not be able to multiply the FSB to give 2800

The mobo may simply fail to run correctly at 2800

Watch your Vcore settings as the 2 chipsets operate at different voltages... well more than likely do.

Get an upgraded HS and Fan

Also the power draw by the hungrier processor may be too much for your PSU.

HTH

Signatures reduce bandwidth

fishdawg
Physically looking at one of these motherboards with an integrated CPU there appears no reason why you could not swop out the processor for something better as HippyWarlock has said.
There is some kind of semi permanent fixing mechanism on the heatsink but I'm sure this could be removed to reveal the Duron processor, as far as I am aware this should be fixed as normal so can be swopped out for the XP2.4+
I suspect however, that because this motherboard was designed and manufactured with the fixed CPU and reports this strange CPU naming frequency that it may run at the correct speed but post an incorrect processor rating (best senario) or may not infact run at the correct speed at all.
As most of these motherboards have a "non integrated sister" a board that is identical in every way but one that hasn't got the fixed CPU.
If this is the case, then I can't see why you couldn't flash the bios from this motherboard.
Obviously a word of caution, maybe a email to the manufactures technical help desk for definitive advice on which flash to use stating what you intend to do.
Martin

Start by questioning and soon you will be answering.
So please take but remember to return and give when you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back