Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Processor Identification 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexwood

Technical User
Feb 16, 2001
GB
Hi there.

I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a web page, or some online resource that will help me identify the procesor type and speed, from the Family x Model x Stepping x designation?

There used to a page on the Knowledge base on microsoft.com, but they seem to have removed that page.

Intel had a utility that will identify the processor, but I don't want to have to go around 50 plus PC's, when I can just get the users to tell me what the CPU designation is and be able to work it out from that.

Thanks in advance.

Well, depending on the age of the CPU, a quick and free one is SysID, which can be found here:

Or if you are running Windows 2000 or XP, you can get the information from your registry located at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\0\Identifier

Good luck!

You can also get the processor description by running DXDIAG. It's usually displayed on the front page (System tab). I think it should provide the info you need.

Hopefully this should already be available on your PCs, and you can get your users to run it for you.

Rik

Hi there,

sorry, the link that I provided isn't Belarc, but it does still give you the whole info on the system...

if you just want the CPU info, you can also do a right-click on 'MY WORKPLACE' and it is displayed right in front...

have fun...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back