Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Processor Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tntcoder

Programmer
Dec 10, 2005
GB
Hey guys,

Ive just started learning assembly, not for anything in particular but i like the language and just want to make some general things in it so maybe one day i can use it as inline code in a higher level language.

Anyway i dont quite understand the idea of the code being processor specfic?, I have written a couple of programs on my AMD x2 4400+ CPU, but the code was from an Intel tutorial? Is there any serious limits or differences in coding i need to be aware of between Intel and AMD CPUs or do they share similar architecure?

Also as my CPU is 64bit, do i have to know 64bit assembly additions or can i just stick to 32bit code?

Thanks for any advice.
Jack

Most of the assembly instructions for x86 CPUs should be identical with Intel, AMD, Cyrix. The only differences might be some of the MMX vs. 3D Now instructions...
The major thing that is processor specific is when you go from IA32 to something like SPARC.

Or to the 68000... or the Z80... or the Microchip PIC...

Each processor has a different assembly language.

Which tends to be copyrighted by the manufacturer.

Since the 80x86 processors are all designed to do the same job (run an IBM PC), the code is common to them all.

Thankfully.

It would be a royal pain to have to code programs for an AMD processor in a different assembler syntax to programs for an Intel processor.

Other than those extensions mentioned above by cpjust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back