Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Processor for new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

contraretro

Programmer
Dec 18, 2019
UA
Hi! Now I have a computer running on an Intel Core i5 8600k processor, but I want a faster processor. I found the Core i7 9800X, but it is 2 times more expensive :(

Help me, is it worth overpaying? I've seen test results in benchmarks, but they don't tell me much. Here's what I'm interested in, i7 has almost 2 times better memory bandwidth, so the question arises – how will this affect the overall performance of the system?

What are your use-cases that require all this extra performance?

--
If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.

If you don't have a solid state boot drive in your system, that would be the big improvement vs. a processor or memory upgrade. What are your computer specs and as mentioned, what do you do with the computer. Most people don't need an i7.

Your review link indicates that they have different sockets, which are incompatible with each other; that would seem to be a show stopper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back