Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Processor Affinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbaughma

IS-IT--Management
Staff member
Nov 21, 2003
US
I know that in the Task Manager, I can set Processor Affinity.

Now, this seems like a cool idea... so let me bounce a scenario off of you.

I have a web server with SQLExpress. Now, SQLExpress will only use one processor. I have a quad-core system.

Here are my questions:

1) If I give exclusive affinity to the SQL Server process (say, processor 4), and turn OFF that affinity with all the other processes, will that make my SQL queries run faster?

2) If so, is there a way to set the processor affinity as a default for the services?

3) Would the best scenario be to set 1 processor for SQL, 1 processor for IIS, and the other 2 for the rest of the system? And, if so, see question #2 again. ;)

Thanks in advance!

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

It looks like what I'm looking for is WSRM (Windows System Resource Manager).

Setting the processor affinity in SQL would be fine, but that doesn't keep OTHER Processes from using that processor.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Greg - I'm interested to hear how this works for you. We have some older 4-cpu oracle servers that will potentially gain performance from something like this. Interesting idea...

Thanks,
Andrew

[medal] Hard work often pays off over time, but procrastination pays off right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back