Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Processing time ASP v Crystal Reports 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetRamsey

Technical User
Oct 22, 2010
US
I have an ASP that hits a database with 3.5 million + entries. In Crystal Reports, the query takes 7 seconds. In the ASP on the same machine, it now takes over 30 seconds to process the same query. Why is there a delay?

Also, since it takes over 30 seconds since the DB has grown, the asp timeouts after exactly 30 seconds with an error code of: Timeout expired. I have increased a line in the ASP of:

Server.ScriptTimeout=120

However, it still times out at 30 seconds. Someone mentioned that maybe the Internet Explorer Browser (have tried 6.0 and 8.0) has a default of 30 seconds before timing out, but I couldn't find a setting to possibly turn this off.

Any thoughts?

Hi,
Are you populating a datagrid or a drop-down list with that data?
Is the query exactly the same as what is shown in Crystal when you choose to view the SQL generated?

You might modify the query to just return a count ( and maybe also a distinct count) to see if something within your code that is manipulating the data is affecting the response time.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Have you tried tuning the query? What database engine are you using? SQL Server, Access, MySQL, Oracle, etc...

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back