Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Process 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cellspam

ISP
Jun 28, 2008
AR
Hi all,

I have a red hat installed and i need to check how a process is running and what other application calls when i call that process.

thanks!!!!!

strace -f -o /tmp/strace.out /path/to/programme will capture the system calls made by the programme including any exec()s of child processes. So if you grep exec /tmp/strace.out it may help give an idea of what programmes it calls.

To find out how it is called you just need to capture the ps -ef output when the programme is running and examine which are the parent processes. This can be easy or difficult depending how long the programme runs for, if it is very quick you may have to do it by temporarily replacing the programme with a script.

Annihilannic.

You could also run auditd then use aureport or ausearch to show activity for a process over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back