Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Process size increases

Status
Not open for further replies.

nandamuri

Programmer
Feb 26, 2002
US
I have a process which is increasing in size over time. After a month or so the process is becoming too big and is crashing for lack of memory. I used purify to remove any memory leaks (We develop in SOLARIS and then port to AIX). What are the other reasons for a process to grow other than memory leaks.

I used the "ps vg" command to check that process size is growing.

Are there any tools that are freely available to find memory leaks on AIX. Just wondering if purify missed somethings and OS is behaving differently.

Hello,

Yes purify did missed thing. If application purify is design for solaris then it is not going to catch everything.

Simple step are this.

look at vmstat output.

if fre column falls from 10000 to 128 and it goes up to 5000 then there is no memory leak.

If do lsps and paging space usage is high then when you kill the process and paging space usage is down there is no memory leak.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE LATEST AIX 433 FIXPAK. THERE WAS A MEMORY LEAK FIX IN AIX 43309 BOS.RTE.LIBC and libpthread LEVEL 77 OR HIGHER IS NEEDED.

On this forum do search on Avadh or oracle or memory and you will find memory tuning info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back