Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Process Control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 1999
US
I have a "runaway" process filling up /home, and I can't determine which one it is with ps -ef. I wish I had "top" but I don't on this machine. Is there a way to get it from the Internet? Or what is the best way to search for this out of control process?<br>
<br>
Thanks

Also have a look for "lsof". This will show what processes are using an open file, and much more. "lsof /home" would show all processes that are accessing files on /home.<br>
<br>
An often forgotten standard utility is "fuser" (/usr/sbin/fuser on Solaris). If you know the name of the file that is being generated then do:<br>
<br>
/usr/sbin/fuser /home/filename<br>
<br>
This should list PIDs for processes accessing the file.

Thank you for your help. I went to Sun's webpage, and I'm<br>
in the process of installing TOP (/usr/local/bin), but<br>
getting the following error message when doing 'make install':<br>
<br>
make install<br>
/bin/cc -DHAVE_GETOPT -DORDER -DHAVE_STRERROR -c top.c<br>
sh: /bin/cc: not found<br>
*** Error code 1<br>
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `top.o'

Since Solaris 2.x, Sun no longer includes a C compiler with the OS. You have to purchase your own or, preferrable, load the freely available GNU gcc compiler.<br>
<br>
You can find many useful applications at:<br>
<br>
<br>
Hope that helps,<br>
jfk

You can also get the GNU gcc compiler at sunfreeware.com, in case you need to compile something in the future. Definately look at lsof, I have had instances where the process did not showup in anything but lsof when I had a similar problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back