Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

procedure to transfer data

Status
Not open for further replies.

opkpapp11

Programmer
Jan 31, 2008
US
I'm brand new to write procedures so bare with me.

I need to transfer data from one SQL server to my server. Does anyone have a good tutorial on how to do this?

Also the current way to connect to the server I am transferring from with this an OpenLink ODBC connection and access, has anyone ever used one of these in a procedure? Is it possible that openlink is connecting me to a normal SQL Server database?

I’m using SQL 2005 on the database I am transferring to.

Thanks.

It's not clear the goals of this transfer; is it one-time only or ongoing? Does it need to be scheduled? Does the data need to be changed during the process?

One approach would be to use SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) on the destination machine. I've not used OpenLink; I couldn't get a clear picture from a perusal of their Web site, but if it acts like an ODBC driver, then you should be able to use it with SSIS.

If it is a one-time transfer, there are additional options that are practical, such as BCP or restoring a backup from the originating server (if you want to transfer an entire database).

--------------
SQLS metasearch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back